This whole situation with the Terri Schiavo case is very sad…and it could have been completely avoidable with an Advanced Directive/Living Will.
I’ve written before about the importance of having an Advanced Directive/Living Will. And now with congress getting into the act, I feel it’s even more vital. Instead of being reactionary, we all should be doing a bit of preventative maintenance.
- Talk to your significant others, families, friends about your wishes.
- Get the paper work you need and fill it out.
- Make sure that EVERYONE who needs a copy gets a copy. This includes all family members, health care providers, hospitals and even your attorney.
- You keep the original in a safe place.
- Keep it updated! If you change your mind about your wishes, or you decided you need someone else to function as your health care power of attorney, then you must update you documents.
While the Terri Schiavo case is most unfortunate, it’s a lesson we can all take to heart. Let’s learn and heed the lesson she is teaching us. Consider the Terri Schiavo case a gift to us all.
Honor her gift…get your Advanced Directive done today.
Barbara C. Phillips, MN, NP